PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ Co-pilot interview
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 04:43
mochiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akistar - horses for courses and all that .....there have been many good eye opening comments about the good and the not so good aspects of joining SIA - see the thread about "SIA Changes the contract again".....

If it is 10 Years to Captaincy that is a relatively short time, especially if it's on wide-body equipment, look at BA, CX etc etc......it is much longer than that. Also worth bearing in mind is that those interviewed may come from vastly different levels of experience......therefore to say it is not a good deal, may be a relevant comment to someone who has many hours of jet experience who has other options, but there are those out there who want to get their first Jet job......

Without wanting to sound like an old fart, it's all too easy to fall into the "getting rich quick" mentality (not saying that you necessarily fall into that catergory, of course it would be nice to be paid well from day 1). Take the following situation....you could have spent the best part of four years doing some form of GA (not meant as a negative comment) struggling to make a living.....or you could have joined SIA....where initially the remmuneration may not be the best to begin with and may be limited on the top end when compared to other airlines. However, you will have gained much international experience which is something that you can move on with if you wish to.

With meals in Singapore cheaper than a cup of coffee from Starbucks in London, I don't think the standard of living is as high as you think. Besides transport in London is a lot to be desired? Let alone council tax......for so called services? Income tax rates which are as high as 40% not to mention national insurance contributions? As one poster in this forum put it......"it's about perspectives".......and another......
"don't say you weren't told!"

If you don't like the rules no one is forcing anyone to play the game, if you have a better opportunity then exercise your right.....

Just some of my thoughts.....

Kinex....I'm still waiting.......