PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To the HKG Media
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2001, 09:30
mali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Isn't it interesting that so often; we as pilots, take a likening to considering ourselves on par with "Doctors and Solicitors..."?? Strange.
It takes 7 years of fulltime study and examimations and then some, to practice medicine.
It takes 5 years of full time study and examinations and then some, to practice law.

It takes on average, between 12 and 18 months of study and learning to cover all the subjects and obtain all the licences reqired to be considered a "Professional Pilot"

I guess when one looks at the situation in this light, one begins to understand the grossly unprofessional attitudes and disgustingly beligerent behaviour that is floating about on these forums.
"Professionals" you say!!? Hmmm, interesting.
Certainly, I don't disagree, it takes a specific set of skills honed to a reasonably fine degree to pilot an aircraft and to manage the microcosm onboard such a machine.
To hail this skill as being on par with the skills an equally intelligent human being has acquired through 5 or 7 years of full time academic study to achieve their minimum qualification is, I might say, a case of being a little mislead as to ones overall place in this big world.
Guys and gals, we haul people about in metal machines. We are replacable, we are not Gods gift, pull your fingers out and enjoy your short time on this earth!!!
Here's to a happy life! (Please!)