PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2005, 12:02
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great trip

Mazzy,

What a fabulous trip, and a great read. I promised to post on here today about my first solo, but it rather pales into insignificance after your adventures!!

Nevertheless, I'll briefly tell you all the score. Having had the solo cancelled on three different occasions, I was getting rather spooked about it, and arrived last Thursday not expecting much, due to a stiff breeze at 90 degrees to the runway. I normally book out with ATC, but this time my instructor said he'd do it, and I heard himj ask to book into the circuits, ".......and if all goes well, I'd like to send a student on his first solo!!" Oh bugger, looks like today then!!

We completed three circuits (all right hand as usual), the first including a PFL at 300' shortly after take off, then a flapless landing on the second, with a "normal" two stage of flap on the third, this time "to land". We taxied back to the school, and after a few words of advice, including "don't crash!!", he stepped out with a cheery "OK off you go......"

Strangely, I was not nervous, I guess I was too busy thinking about the task ahead to be so. I got ATC clearance to taxi to the Sierra 1 holding point, and loaded the new QFE. I went through l the checks and called "ready for departure". The ATC guys were aware that it was my first solo, and did their best to give me a clear run, in amongst the heavy Easter commercial traffic. So, I had to sit there for about 15 minute, waiting for a 757 and two 737's to land or take off, keeping myself busy with checking everything again, popping the odd few seconds of carb heat for good measure!!

Eventually I got the call to line up after the landing 737 had passed, on runway 27. Then I was cleared for take off for a LEFT hand circuit!! Hang on a minute, I've only done about four left hand circuits at EMA before, they are always to the right, but I acknowledged and away I went. No problems, positive climb, 80 kts, 500', clear of the airport boundary, climbing turn, and remembering AT ALL COSTS to avoid Diseworth village (the most anti in the airport vicinity, and strangely the home to various airline pilots!!).

Turning onto the downwind leg, I called "downwind" to ATC, and was asked to call them when ready for left base- now, I know what that means, a blooming hold!! Sure enough, I was duly asked to orbit. Now came the tricky bit, to find somewhere to orbit away from the multitude of villages around me. Eventually I settled over a pleasantly green slot, and round and round I went....and round and round again. ATC called me and apologised for the delay, and assured me he'd get me down asap. "No problem" I replied (I was enjoying myself)

Shortly after I was called onto base leg, and was no 2 to a PA34 which was visual. ATC then asked if I could cut in tight behind the PA34 for a shortish final, which I did. Calling final, and given clearance to land, I was very pleased to carry out the best landing I've EVER done - imperceptable touch down in a 10 kt crosswind! I bet I can't do that again.

I was cleared to taxi back to the school, after holding to allow yet another 737 to taxi past, where my instructor was waiting with outstretched hand. I'd been away for 35 minutes, and I was told that ATC had telephoned the school to say they were holding me in orbit, and not to worry about me!!

It felt great, and a real milestone. Plenty more hard work ahead, but 11 weeks and 4 days after my first lesson, I had finally gone solo in 23 hours.

Cheers all,

Mike N