PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - intercepting radials and flying DME arcs with a jet
Old 28th Mar 2005, 11:26
N2334M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intercepting radials and flying DME arcs with a jet

Hello.

I am currently practising IFR flying with MS Flight Simulator 2004 and the Boeing PMDG 737-800, with 60T TOW. I normally maneuver at 250KIAS using the bank limiter at 30°AOB.
I cannot afford to go in a real sim, so that's all I have. I need some advise to know if what I am doing is correct or not...

I have some questions:

1. when starting a DME arc with a jet, how earlier do you start your turn ?
Ex. if I am at 250KIAS @FL200 with 0 wind, and my GS readout is 336KT, I noted that I have to start my turn at 4NM before the required DME arc. Could it be possible or is it a non precision of the Flight Simulator ?
How would you calculate your anticipation to start the turn given a groundspeed ? (I was given a formula for prop aircraft, but apparently it does not work for jet I think due to the radius of turn).

2. how much bank angle would you use for maneuvering during DME arcs, or intercepting radials ? How fast ? is 250KIAS too much ?

3. how much anticipation would you use when leaving the arc and intercepting the radial inbound or outbound ? I have seen that I have to start my turn at least 20° earlier if not I overshoot very badly !

4. Do you know where can I find some rules on how to perform interceptions ?

Thanks a lot !

Best regards,
N2334M.