PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kites in restricted airspace?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2005, 09:51
Jungmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to get back on the topic, the height for kites is 400 ft ( not 300 or 360) and if the airspace was restricted then you would need the approval of the controlling authority for any aviation activity. I don't have access to charts or NOTAMS right now but I do recall that there is a restricted area nearby due to Australian Army activity at Cultana and Pt Lowly. The police (SAPOL or FEDPOL) may have requested a TRA (Temporary Restricted Area) and it would have prevented any aviation activity (including media helicopters and the flying of kites and balloons) unless approved by the controlling authority. Does any one have a current NOTAM?

It appears that the protesters used this knowledge and attempted to fly both balloons and kites in order to divert the attention of the police force while they conducted some mischief elsewhere.

As far as the rights and wrongs of the protesters go, I think that the many thousands of refugees who have gained visas or whatever it is that they require, far outweighs the few that are in Baxter because the authorities cannot establish where they came from. The senator has said that most are awaiting deportation but she can't establish where they belong. Sounds reasonable to me.