PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why fly the centre line?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2005, 08:07
buster172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I don’t have a great deal of experience but this subject has been on my mind as well so if I may,

Where I fly a motor glider we are taught, in certain conditions, wind speed less than 10 knots that if we have an EFATO between 300 and 500ft we have the option to turn back. The runway does have a parallel but that’s just a bonus. We can turn safely and get back onto the active from 300ft.

We have to demonstrate this and all the other bad things that can happen every 3 months so I am confident I can do this safely.

However at the other airfield I fly from with built up areas and power lines crossing a river the options are much worse. Having discussed this with my instructor recently I asked why we have to fly such big circuits well out of gliding range. I think it all came down to the requirements of ATC and having us fit in with the larger aircraft that operate at the airfield. This makes me a little uncomfortable but I have found is not uncommon.

All through my PPL training it was drummed in never turn back. Well, having been shown there are options, rather than one hard and fast rule I must admit that modifying the departure to ensure I crash on the airfield rather than in the river, houses, power lines etc is in my, inexperienced opinion a far better option.

As said before each airfield is different and I have only been to a handful but I would be interested to hear more on this subject. I have this nagging feeling my engine is going to fail all the time!

Interesting discussion,

Regards,

Buster