PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2005, 20:43
Perfect PFL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Travelled Nav wrote:

"It doesn't matter how good your arguments are to keep the UAS system, I hear that the senior officer carrying out the study hates the UAS system.

Why ?

Apparently because his son failed to get in on 3 separate occasions."

As you've decided to get personal with your comments now, I guess I'll have to straighten some of your facts out - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and all that.

Failed to get into what on 3 separate occasions? Getting into the UAS, or the RAF? I applied for the UAS once. I was accepted. I spent 3 years on East Midlands UAS, and completed the entire EFT syllabus. During this time I never once went to Cranwell for selection. I did, however, apply for the RAF during my final year at University, and attended OASC after completion of the UAS flying. This was a mistake if I wanted to join the RAF as a pilot. I obviously passed an aircrew medical to get into the UAS, but on attending OASC I was told I did not meet the required eye sight limits to be a pilot. So 3 years on the UAS, completed EFT training (with "two 5's" on FHT), and told I can't join as a pilot as my eye sight wasn't good enough. (As an aside, I believe the eye sight limits changed some time during my UAS time with the introduction of Typhoon approaching. Also I subsequently found out that as I had completed EFT I should have been assessed on the old eye sight limits, and so should not have failed the medical. Getting rid of good pilots from the UAS system on stupid medical reason (arms too short etc) just because you have to be medically fit to fly any RAF aircraft as a pilot is a whole different subject though.) So I hope that straightens that one out for you a little at least.

You obviously like your anonymity on these type of web forums like everyone else, but when you post completely inaccurate facts some of us are then forced to not remain behind ours.

As for the other points in your post, they are not for me to comment on as I have little knowledge on them. Maybe something you should bear in mind before posting in future.