PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance reported missing
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2005, 14:45
Firestorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown with just about all of Loganair's ambulance pilots at some point over the last four years, I would not cast any doubt as to their ability in the Islander, or any of the other aeroplanes, we've operated together. And I wouldn't cast any doubt as to Loganair's commitment to providing a really excellent service to the remote communities and the Ambulance Service. It is just a sad fact of aviation that accidents happen and lives were lost. I am really gutted that Guy was one of those lives: he was a 'splendid chap', and a bloomin good mate.

I am glad that the Ambulance Service realised that the requirment for a 21st century service had to be upgraded. I do think that whilst the Islander operation was an excellent operation, in this day and age there are better alternatives.

For as long as the CAA drag their heels about certifying GPS for non-precision and precision approaches, crews will make up their own procedures, which may be inherently as dangerous as those they try to improve upon. For as long as no one gets 'caught', or caught out, it won't matter, the job will get done. But when someone does come unstuck, there will be a big backlash. There is scope for many other threads on the subject: I expect it has been much debated already!

There are a couple of people who have posted here who's opinions and experience of the operation is first hand, and we would all do well to take note of what they say, and respect their experience of the subject.