PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why fly the centre line?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2005, 13:37
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY interesting thought.

Having listened to so many "pre take off" briefs from pilots, I've been actively wondering for some time about the effect of a crosswind on departure, in the event of an engine failure after take off (because nobody brings it up).

Assume a crosswind from the right - turning back in a right turn would have a smaller turn radius than turning back with a left turn. A document I am reading just now suggests the turn radius of a "modern lightplane" will place the aircraft 2,240 feet to one side of the centreline at the end of a 180° turn at rate one. That's over a third of a mile - with still two alternate turns to go in a very low performance glider.

Now factor in airfields with parallel runways, winds from various "quarters", calm winds (oxymoron?) etc. and I would ask how do you train a zero hour student to mentally juggle the options for departure from each individual runway of each individual airfield.

I do like the question you pose, though. I, too, would be very interested to hear comments from others.