PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2005, 09:54
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyData

Good questions - At first the RT was daunting, but mostly due to the fuzziness of the sound. The accent was understandably Maltese, however, all the dialect and language was fluent English - it only took an hour or so to get used to it, but like I say, I have an advantage having Malta in my blood - in summary I don't think anyone else would have a problem - usual downwind calling:

"AES - Downwind to land"
"AES - report final"

Etc. The only time I noticed a different language being used was over Sicily - a couple of people were communicating in Italian, but I guess this was not radar information, and merely a conversation that would not affect anyone else. One thing we did hear was a pilot from the local USAF base there in Sicily - he too had difficulty understanding the controller (even if he is based there?) and he basically said:

"err, having difficulty understanding you here, we are [location], [information], [intentions] etc" - Much more relaxed, as I have read to believe the American RT is???? (I don't know!)

Apparently, there are a lot of G registered aircraft that enter Malta, so the controllers are used to it. The airspace is not complex, just split up into four sections, and before you know it, you are leaving the FIR. Hope that has answered any questions you had Data

Andy - ah yes, I had not thought of this. Due to the high temperature, the air was less dense, and held more moisture, thus reducing the performance. This was first hand experience for me (as I am sure us Brits are not used to such temperatures) It still flew beautifully though in the cruise, due to the smooth, still air

Happy Easter everyone - I got no eggs this time