PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP Selection
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2005, 22:31
C172s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres My Two Pence Worth,...

I don't have a problem with what Mundy posted. In fact I agree. I had seecond thoughts about going to BA b4 my interview because although the pay is good, BA does not stand for BE ALL.

I' disagree with some views that BA pilots are best in the country/world. BA pilots are not the best pilots ..no..no..no. My airline have dropped people in the past due to various operational reasons who have now got jobs with BA. British Aiways pilots are the best for British Airways! This does not mean that they'll qualify to fly for or be successful with others.

The BA selection procedure is solely in place to ensure that the candidate fits into the BA corporate mould and can be remoulded into something that is required by the company. Essentially there are good pilots and bad in every company, we all do the same job and should have respect for one another as pilots irrespective of the company that we should work for.

I have seen great handlers and operators turned down by BA and their opposites given the thumbs up by BA. I've trained amongst BA pilot cadets and they were no better than anyone else, in fact they had more failures/incidents then those on some other courses. However those of you who are, or used to sit in front of a jetliner know that actually flying the aircraft is only part of the overall package.

BA is a huge successful company that employs many many thousands of people from all over the world. As a result alot of procedures are standardised and must be followed strictly hence selection. The HR department in conjunction with Ops run the company. Employees are effectively carefully chosen 'drones' (sorry but its true) that must adhere to these rules and procedures in a which makes BA what it is today. BA works as a company therefore their theory works FOR THEM. If u are successful, good for you, if not, its an experience.

I was not successful with BA because I did not apparently 'want it enough'. This is true. I may not want to work for them, but i'll definately fly with them. I fly aeroplanes for a living and I'm happy with that. I wish I could get paid more but i'm happy as when i fly i know i'm truly in command in my Euro-electric-jet.

And for all of you boeing vs airbus guys/gals....an aeroplane is an aeroplane!!!