PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Changes the Contract - Again!
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2005, 14:33
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Kaptin M, for putting into words that which I would find difficult to verbalise.

In reading the last line of your post, I'm not so sure that SIA is going down the gurgler, but they do seem hell-bent on a plummet towards the ordinary.

It's true, I was always willing to work for a little less, when the trade-off was to work for an excellent and very stable organisation with a high profit motive, thus ensuring the viability of their own, and my future. Unfortunately, profit has become the ONLY motive. The residual quality is still there, but steadily eroding. From a selfish point of view, I can extrapolate this rate of erosion of quality to just about see me through to retirement (which I do not look forward to). I sympathise with those younger than me, they will never see the halcyon days that I did.

SIA is wonderfully in 'the black', good for them, I am strongly philosophically aligned with the ethos of a good profit in return for a good service. In the past, SIA made good profits from external sources, i.e. the generation of new business, good market strategy in the marketplace etc. But something changed......

SIA still makes good profits from external sources, but in the new management style of maximising profit at any cost, found that they could maximise them even further from within by consuming it's own body and soul, and that they did to the very people who made it all possible - their staff.

In medical terms, a body which is consuming itself has a CANCER, and for a body to survive, the cancer must be excised.

I call it cancer, you call them non-revenue producing managers.

Old Smokey