PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Changes the Contract - Again!
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2005, 20:58
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, Old Smokey, it seems that this management greed syndrome is an almost worldwide plague on many airlines at the present.
Airlines are being burdened with excessive numbers of overpaid, non-revenue producing "managers", whose ONLY method of justifying their bloated income is to screw other employees' conditions.

411A, your observations of a quarter of a century ago may have been correct ( I wonder if you were one of the pilots on the MSA B707 that I flew on, as kid, from Hong Kong to SIN, and then SIN to PER, in 1970?), however, SQ moved on to become a RESPECTED, CAREER AIRLINE offering reasonably good conditions during the early - mid 1990's, when your's truly was there.
My experience there (in SQ) was enjoyable - although, as is usual, this was not the case with all the pilots - as was living in Singapore.
As Old Smokey states, "I believed in a fair system of give and take, I went the extra mile for them when necessary, and they in turn were most helpful in going their extra mile for me if I encountered a problem.", and I think that was generally the majority prevailing opinion.

However, friends I had - who remained there, following my departure - told me that the airline changed. These were friends who, similar to O S, enjoyed being there, but subsequently looked forward to the day they could leave, either due to age retirement, or by changing employers, thanks to these non-revenue producing, greedy managers.
The foresight of these nrpm's is truly limited, because although they might save a few pennies in the short term, the longer term impact is going to cost the companies a LOT MORE than any savings they make now.
Why?
For the reason that they are destroying any "goodwill" that existed with the majority of the employees - the same "goodwill" and "company spirit" that ensures many employees are actually HAPPY to work for an employer for a little LESS, when they are HAPPY in that employ.
An airline is not only a collection of aeroplanes, check-in desks, pushback tugs, and conveyor belts. It is PEOPLE that unite the company to make the working environment the face of the airline.
Treat the PEOPLE badly, and it will eventually be reflected in the airline's bottom line.

It's a shame to see Singapore Airlines being sent down the gurgler by the greed of a (relative) few.