PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Sign New EBA ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2005, 20:16
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gnadenburg,

Bringing an airline career to within easy reach of anyone who will pay for a jet endorsement has already eroded conditions and deskilled the industry
Whilst I agree 100% with your first point, how does paying for an endorsement make you any less skilled? There are people at ALL COMPANIES that despite their keeness to fly, probably should have chosen other careers, yet still they persist and manage to pass their checks!!

Are cadet's who have paid for the privilege any less skilled?
I think not!! In fact probably some of the brightest young pilots I have met have taken this route.

If you mean people are less experienced, then yes that would be true, however don't confuse experience with skill, cause I can assure you that there are many experienced Captains out there with little or no skill left!! It is their experience that gets them by!! Whilst they espouse great virtues of airmanship, some would'nt know what day it was without the rest of the crews help.

Let me ask you this question.
Why are fighter jocks, generally cocky SOB's in their early twenties?
Because this is when you are at your peak!!

Why are military instructors generally in their early thirties?
Because they are close enough to their peak to remember how it was and experienced enough to be able to impart some knowledge!!

Soon that first 500 hours of airline experience will have a price- so our wannabe can have the experience to go and get a suitably reMUNerating position abroad
Welcome to the new millenium. Anyway at least he/she wont be trying to take yours.

What you have described is a GA mentality
Could you please elaborate? What exactly is a GA mentality?

Cheers, HH.