PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2005, 20:04
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lee

It sounds fantastic. It is trips like this that got me thinking seriously about the PPL. I've travelled the world on business and holidays and always look at the GA sites at airfields on arrival at exotic locations. It would be great to hire a PA28 or C172 for a few hours especially in Hawaii where I've visited the islands more than once and had great helicopter trips - it would be amazing to do the same in a a/c under my control....

Apart from what you stated, did you have any issues with using a 'foreign' ATC? Is everything in English and as per the usual protocol that would be expected in the UK? I do a lot of business in Europe and sometimes find it difficult communicating with taxi drivers and business clients. We tend to get by with a mix of English and their language. This is fine for business - my French is pretty good, German, Italian and Spanish is understandable, but Swedish, Slovak and other tongues are a challenge that usually default to poor, common English. And I do know that English *is* the language of the skies, it is also a misconception that it is the language of business, but my on the ground experience makes me worry that I might not be understood during a critical air manouvre.

I appreciate that there are flights all over the world going on 24/7 over non-English speaking countries and so something must work. I'm just interested to hear first hand how it does work.

Did you have any additional pre-flight checks for going over water? What additional equipment did you take?

Also good to know you are a 6'2" guy. If we ever get to meet at Liverpool for a flight together I'll know to look for the tall guy ;-)

MyData