PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Huey saga set to land in court
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2005, 14:36
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sasless
Yes the C model was a B with the 540 and -11, also dual Hydraulics, then -13 for the M. Got my commas in the wrong place.
We had a B once with a -13 in it. To do a maintenance test they put sandbags in the back to hold it down. Dam thing came off the ground and might have over Tqd the Transmission, had a lot of power.
Took many a newbie slick driver out in M models when they were transitioning and taught them my first lesson which was the difference between the H and M. Heavy, Hot and High you lose the tail rotor right now. I used to take the guys up on a big clear ridge at about 6000' AGL and have them do an H model approach. It was a hoot to watch that pedal heading for the chin bubble just before the ass started swinging around. Their eyes got awful big before I said Ive got it and make a missed approach.
Its why I believe SWF is offering a B model with a larger tailboom, bigger drive train and -13 engine, it will be a slingload god. Im sure as time marches on the will also offer the left Bubble door with guages mounted for Vert Ref work. Not the case here as this is a raw B model set up as a display. Its sling capabilities are much less than the SWF/B, or the H. In fact I dont remember ever seeing a C or M used for sling they were always set up with Gun systems. Also the Dual Hydraulics were another nightmare similar to the 412, maybe even the 212. You lose one, get it down, you lose two......adios. M models did have separate independant systems not sure on the C. Its been 15 years since I flew an M, almost that long since I flew a Snake. I lost hydraulics once in an M model (only one of them)and it was interesting. Cockpit filled with mist in less than second, got the light etc., really woke me up on a dark night. They were somehow connected but still independant. each operated different aircraft systems as I recall.
As to the Cape Aircraft it looks very sweet in the Army colors and will be a great machine for Airshows as a "Static Display" or Demo flyer.. If done properly a skit could be put together with fees charged. I have been involved in a couple of those and some money could be made. Not as much as has been done in contravention to existing rules. Disagreement on this thread is based on prior use and maintenance of surplus aircraft.
Bell is now touting the new 210, have not heard of the 211. Its Bells way of making a ton of money. They have pissed and moaned about folks getting surplus UH-1s, now they realize there is a ton of money in it so they got a bunch from the military to refirb and make even more money. They missed the boat years ago when the surplus aircraft hit the streets. They didnt support them and most folks went to Eurocopter. Now that they are making a slight comeback, someone in the managment system must realize how they screwed up.
As to the 412/47, I only have a dozen or so hours in the 412 and a few hundred in the 47, so I never had someone ask that before. Im sure you will enlighten the forum with your vast knowledge.

Last edited by B Sousa; 25th Mar 2005 at 14:54.