PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips on flying T-tail arrow wanted
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2005, 14:11
arrow2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a share in an Arrow 4 T tail. Nice and easy to fly. Just use the book figures. Get used to it on a nice long runway before you take it into the grass short strip. I have landed on a 560 metre strip once - I was down and stopped in less than half the length, using 69 kts recommended short field approach speed with full flaps. 5 knot headwind then on landing, short dry grass.

Take off is always longer - I got airborne in about 2/3 of the length with 2 blokes on board, 1/4 tanks and a blustery crosswind. I was on the limit. I had done a detailed perf. calc. before attempting t/o.

You must work out the numbers - weight and balance critical, especially weight. I have 72 USG usable and can really only take all that if I have no more than 2 on board.

In summary get used to it, work out the numbers and fly the specified approach speeds. As others have stated once in the flare elevator effectiveness is lost quite rapidly so be prepared for a good haul back on the wheel, land it on its mains and the nose will drop on its own. It is not difficult to achieve a mainwheels first touchdown if your speeds are right. No need to come in fast.

A2