PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 24th Mar 2005, 11:44
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTBF,
The imagining of what may have happened based on that report is exactly what I was getting at. There is no where near enough info to ascertain any of what you are speculating about. None the less, I get your point that you are concerned that NVG will encourage people to go further than they otherwise might have. I think that is a real concern, but should the actions of the over confident be used to penalise the controlled? As I said before, we have people pushing into reduced viz during the day, yet we dont all scream about restricting day flight.

And as I stressed before, it is not clear from the report that anything even like that happened in this accident: thus the stretch to NVG evils is way too far.

The "ripping off the goggles" and other emotive comments do little to rationalise the debate here. During correctly taught NVG flight, the NVG is the primary attitude reference, but all turns, power changes, attitude changes should ALL be backed up on the AI. The NVG are worn so that an instrument scan can easily be performed by moving your eyes down to the pannel, and never should it be reuired to "rip the goggles" off. Flip them up if you are super stressed, but never rip them off. If you have it set up right then the scan can be done with no action required on the NVG. These are some of the reasons that we need to get a lot more de6tail on this accident before condemning such an advance in technology.

Don't you think?