PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RHODES-SANTORINI incidents?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2005, 11:09
ThinkRate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rubik,

I thought that where I am coming from is obvious, since I do not hide it in my profile; heavily involved with aviation in Greece, from both sides of the scope, albeit not professionally so, but that's besides the point. Very concerned too but, I like to think, constructively so.

The status of Aviation in Greece -not to mention General Aviation which is a disgrace and that’s another topic- leaves a lot to be desired, compared to some of the more evolved environments. But the situation has greatly improved over the recent years, with controllers being better trained and equipped and older (mostly ex-mil) captain mucho, smoking-and-feet-on-the-panel types tending to quickly disappear, either in retirement or in CRM classes.

The Hellenic CAA? A joke, surely, and a remnant of the old 70s type of heavily regulated, government-controlled, dinosaur of a body but Greek Freak's post was so obviously an uneducated, untrue, exaggerated, jump seat description of things he obviously knows or understands little about that it would be amusing if it did not concern such serious matters. I mean what, in what aspect and where is a "badly designed SID/STAR" for heavens sake???

Perhaps you missed the point about Greek Freak's erroneous attitude; plus you are confusing the airports? LGIR boasts challenging northerly winds @90 degrees to the approach path, not southerly. Rhodes has the windshear problem with south-easterly winds. And Samos too, mostly with northerlies (windshear)... The approaches are challengin in terms of morphology and weather but in what way are these or other approaches "badly designed"? It is a genuine question.

TR
----------------------------------------
ThinkRate! ThinkRate! Don't Think!