PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD Explorer
Thread: MD Explorer
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2005, 08:22
metric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD902 logistics

Little seen on this subject is entirely objective but even the most enthusiastic MD902 operators in the UK have to admit that there have been major issues on the supply of key spares including main rotor gearboxes.

The current MDHI company is nothing to do with Boeing or MD and has little to fall-back on when commercial and technical issues arise. I suspect that had MD (the real MD) or latterly Boeing retained control of the programme, things might have been different and the logistic and developmental issues of the MD902 may have been squared away...but this is not what has happened. One wonders why Boeing sold the company if the risk perception of the product was anything other than as a low reward/high cost civil helicopter programme.

The Dutch Police contract is difficult for both the Dutch Police and for MDHI. The police made a call and as it turns out made the wrong one (we all do that from time to time)...on the basis that the MD902 has not been able to deliver what was promised. MDHI made valiant technical and commercial efforts to deliver but ultimately the MD902 could not deliver. I might take a view that nothing was going to deliver what was demanded of the MD902 with the Dutch role equipment in the sub 3000 kg category. Gravity does not change and the laws of aerodynamics have been soundly tested.

So I would say, my opinion of course, Bravo for trying MDHI, bad-luck Dutch Police - do not always believe what salesman promise even if that is what you want to hear, and good news for UK based MD902 operators who may see some improvement in support now attention at MDHI is on other things.

Incidently, if you think objectivity is short in this, I also take the view that threatening to sue, or indeed sueing your potential customers when you loose a competition is not the wisest thing to do. If the customer eventually needs you, in these circumstances it is difficult for them to say 'hi' a year or two later on. Mnaufacturers need to learn that customers are also in the market for the long-haul and have memories of how they are treated.

Just some thoughts.