PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips on flying T-tail arrow wanted
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2005, 07:52
Final 3 Greens

With all the usual caveats that I'm not an instructor .....

I flew an Arrow IV (non turbocharged) a few times from a 700M grass strip without any problems.

I didn't find any big differences with the T-tail - the approach speed was a few knots up on an Archer and the yoke needed a good pull during the flare (as all PA28s tend to), but it was a very controllable aeroplane and IIRC, the final approach speed was 75kts, so no probs on 700M.

The only issue on the one I flew was "winterization", which had involved putting a bl@@dy big battery in the engine bay, thus altering the balance and making the thing a little more front end heavy than would have been the case with a luggage compartment unit, but this was easy to deal with.

Overall, the Arrow "felt" more like a Cherokee 6 than a PA28, i.e. heavier than the 200lbs increave over the Archer at AUW would suggest.As an afterthought, I haven't logged time on an Arrer 3, but have on a 200B (low tail.)

The 200B pitched up/down quite markedly on gear cycling, the Arrow IV does not, presumably because the stabilator is out of the airflow from the roller skates