PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 19:00
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Robbo Jock-
If your program has a real safety program, the fact that you've spent good money for goggles won't be a factor. If your company's culture is such that you're routinely under those pressures (second guessing pilot decisions), you're an accident waiting to happen anyhow- with goggles, two engines, two pilots, full IFR and autohover, anti-ice, whatever- pilot error kills. Anything that interferes with discretion enables pilot error.

Yes, equipment can take you down the lane, fail, and stick you. It can also enable you to operate more efficently. Think IFR, for example- yes, the gauges can fail and put you in difficulty, but is that an excuse to scud-run? Unaided night EMS is even more hazardous than scud-running. We will be low level at some point, where the obstacles lurk. Good technique helps, but the risk of not seeing an ostacle that'll kill you is always there.

One set of numbers posted claimed 77% of the accidents in US EMS in the last five years were in the dark. In my 4 years as an EMS'r, I've logged 31% of my time at night. I think that's about average. I'm not a statistician, but those numbers would seem to clearly indicate an issue.

Goggles aren't a silver bullet, but they will help with the things that could go bump in my nights.