PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the best/most amazing flyby (official or otherwise)?
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 14:06
vector4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was working for an oil field service company in Eastern New Mexico many years ago. The rig/casing crew was prepairing to run surface casing and had cross-threaded the shoe on the first joint. So there's about 5-6 guys on hands and knees around the hole wrestling with the casing and shoe, and I'm standing at the back of the rig near the motors out of the way with hands in pockets. Just happen to glance out to the West, and on the horizon, see a smoke trail headed our way. At about 3 miles, I make it out as an F-111, presumably from Cannon AFB, making straight for the crow's nest at very high speed. I started to holler at the guys to watch, but some devil on my left shoulder quieted me.

The F-111 passed about 100' right over the rig followed by a hellish wave of sound a split second later. Everyone on the rig floor had departed at high speed over the rail, which was quite dangerous as it was about an 8' drop to the ground below, and the poor hand in the crow's nest was half-way out on the zip line before he realised the well wasn't erupting. I was doubled over laughing at the whole specticle, then quickly deduced from the looks I received that it would be best to sit in my truck for a couple hours till the grin wore off...