PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135
Thread: EC135
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 13:28
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa there guys. Lets look at facts and not presumptions:

ECD the aircraft manufacturer have been in deliberation with one of the fleets busiest users (german border police) and compiled a database of enormous statistical complexity. Those Germans haven't missed a trick historically with regard to this a/c's performances.
Tens of thousands of hours of operational data has resulted in a very confident statement from ECD regarding the MRP (maintenance reduction programme). As per the ORIGINAL advertisement accompanying this 'new generation' aircraft, it has now matured sufficiently such that it no longer requires any scheduled maintenance until the 400hr. The whole programme is based on flight safety - it has to be, in this litigious world that we live in!

The boroscope check for the MGB is a belts and braces check to support ongoing efficiency measures regarding the longevity of the MGB. It has always had the capacity to fly for (currently) 3200hrs between checks and it will soon go up to 4000hrs.
This 'upgrade' has taken 7 years so far...so I don't think they have "rushed" anything thru!

The MGB is (as in most helos) the weakest link for the transfer of power to the head. A MAUM upgrade to 2900+ (?) comes about after another very long term trial monitoring the S African EC635 (mil 135) flying around at 2900+ for ages!

All these 'benefits' have now cascaded down to the every day user....it just so happens that these 3 particular issues have coincided.

[How they plan to upgrade to 2900 concerns me a little, in that a 'software' upgrade would suggest that the original performance of this a/c has been slugged on purpose to give it a degree of redundancy. Adjustments to the FADEC would mean new torquemeters (or indications) and new HMU's etc. I can't believe it is a simple tweak to a computer programme!!!!!].
Only the T2 can be upgraded, I believe].

ECD will never upgrade to >3000kg, because of the erroneous costs of it then being in the 'medium twin class'. FDR's / CVR's
C of A costs etc etc would prove cost prohibitive.