PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Death in Service Benefit
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 12:13
Myra Leese

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I too called the number given and a very surly Scottish lass refused to answer my query on either the old or new pension schemes; she insisted I had to write or send an e-mail. I sent the e-mail on Monday and am still waiting for an answer.

Out of interest here is some information from a letter sent to me last year:

In view of the fact that PAS has subsumed flying pay into military salary, you are now paying higher monthly contributions because AVCs are based on a percentage of pay. In order to prevent you being disadvantaged by this change, an amendment has been made to the regulations for the Armed Forces Pension Scheme to explain that the Death in Service lump sum will now be calculated on actual Professional Aviator pay.

You are reminded that an option to buy the enhanced Death in Service lump sum, once signed, is final. Applications to withdraw from the scheme will only be considered if there is an unforeseen change in circumstances that would cause hardship to the member by remaining in the scheme.

I think that last sentence is telling as there is about to be a very large change in circumstances for us all. We wait with baited breath.