PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - want my money back
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 12:08
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosworth,

I can only agree fully with all you say. I too am in the position of considering only now at age 24 going to do an integrated course (with PPL & UAS behind me) - those who embarked upon licences while I was jealously watching on from both university and my current job (read backup career) have either fallen by the wayside through lack of cash, lost heart in the process or are struggling as flying instructors.

The only people I personally know who are sitting in the RHS of a jet at my age are in the RAF - this year they too are subject to uncertainty with only 15 pilots being taken on at Cranwell.

The role is constantly on a knife-edge, with commercial pressures on an underperforming industry not to mention the Class 1 medical that could render many unemployable as pilots in an instant.

To dive into the industry without full awareness of the issues may in fact be one of the reasons why employement is not found immediately. Rationally, the development of a backup plan is paramount to success - the ability to earn money to keep you independent and able to make choices about the route you follow comes before throwing yourself headlong into the industry through the pure love of flying. Maturity to put yourself in that position and act rationally would - I think - be thought of more highly by any employer among candidates with otherwise similar hours and experience.

I will reserve judgement until I too have been through the process and found myself a flight deck position, however the ability to see the situation relatively objectively is an advantage now.

I hope you find a job Spaceman1000 - however I wonder why you posted this thread. Are you really attacking the industry into which you entered fully knowing the consequences, or are you really trying to seek approval and sympathy for your decisions so far to make you feel better? If so you have come to the wrong place.