PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG : Jet Fuel Crisis
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 07:05
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

There's a couple of blokes I haven't heard from for a while, g'day HJ and Alistair. Happy Easter to you both!

Might not be a very happy Easter here though. A tanker was diverted to Port Moresby and arrived yesterday. The fuel it's carrying has to go through the same quality checks and these are done on a sample that was sent to Oz yesterday morning. Have to hand it to Shell, they've certainly tried to respond very quickly to this foul-up.

Apparently, the tanker carries enough fuel for something like 3 days supply to the airport, on the basis of normal usage.

Last I heard was that they still hadn't ascertained where or how the contamination occurred in the stuff from Napa Napa Refinery, but were still investigating. Meantime, they've been testing the contaminated fuel and found some that could be released, but not a lot of it yet.

Flight schedules are in complete chaos. PX has been running a few flights, notably to Lae (Nadzab) and Hagen. There's a major "bum's rush" every time one of these flights is called and, from what I've seen so far, the quickest of them are the ones getting on the flights, regardless of how long they've been waiting. That might not be correct, but it sure seems like it.

At least all flights are completely full these days...