PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I the only non-whinger
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 06:40
Fox3snapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been a lot more security threats here in the UAE since the heightening of hostilities than the average expat will ever know about. The fact is the authorities have developed over the years (originally for their own internal issues) a very good internal secuirty system and potential incidents have been shut down before they have had the chance to mature. Their internal secuirty is also fed by the governemnets of foreign powers who have their own intrests (people, commercial and military) so a reasonable level of security can be afforded.

I say a "reasonable" level of secuirty because at the end of the day total security can never be assured. It is certainly a hazard of living here in the Middle East, but then if New York is any example of a secure environment then perhaps there are few places left in the world that are really safe.

The people that mastermind these attacks have developed over the years into a smart, patient and unforgiving bunch which are very difficult to combat. Unfortunate to say but I think we will see a lot more of these activities and it certainly will not stay confined to the Middle East.