PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World's longest mail run
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 03:42
Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roost,

There are a number of advantages to a C404, but it is not the machine for the PAG run.

I know of a number of C404's in FNQ that have had their nose oleo snap off on rough / sloppy strips ( i.e 2 U/S engines and props, do the maths),

A titans engine cost around $85K, whereas a C402 is around $50K,

Titan is slow compared to a C402 160 V's 175 knots,

You might want to go and have a closer look at HOA's blades, theres definately damage there, and thats been operating pretty much exclusively off Tar Strips with the oleo's jacked right up,

The GTSIO engines need to be handled delicately, which is definately not the technique used on the 800 metre strips you would fly on,

Most of WWA's Barons go Check to Check without need for a trip to the maintenance hangar, can not say the same about C404 / C402 (A or B) for that case.

Compared to a baron, the C404's are more frequently eating starters and alternators,

STOL, you either have it or you don't, its not a case of selecting "STOL factor five", HOA is not STOL,

I'd reckon a Baron or Shrike is the machine, flick the day trippers and focus on the service to the stations, no Turbo's or GTSIO's, light foot print and a proven record in the Gulf / Western for the mail runs, good TAS V's FF.