PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disaster at CX - 49 Fired
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2001, 20:47
Avman

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not a CX pilot nor did I pretend to be. My profile quite clearly states my professional background. I am entitled to an opinion in response to Diamond MPO Member's comments. We in ATC today face the same sort of frustrations associated with safety. The majority of our senior management have no ATC background. The only thing they understand is cost cutting by reducing staff under the guise of "cost efficiency". This is now taking precedence over SAFETY. My contention is that Diamond MPO Member doesn't like to be inconvenienced, but if he wasn't, would he take the time and effort to support a cause which is in the interest of his SAFETY? Of course pilots and air traffic controllers don't take any pride in taking industrial action and inconveniencing the travelling public. Of course you (the passengers) are our bread and butter. But you do want to get to your destination safely don't you? The intransigence of senior management in some companies/organizations is difficult to perceive by those not subjected to it. I get a dose of it every time I go to work and I'm pretty certain that passengers such as Diamond MPO Member won't care a hoot until that is we bring it to their attention by inconveniencing them a little. Of course they may wish to wait until they are a pile of ash in the smouldering wreckage of what was once an aeroplane.......which may be a more permanent inconvenience!

OK I've had my say even though I have only scratched the surface of a very complex issue affecting the aviation world. I'll butt out as requested.

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: Avman ]