PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disaster at CX - 49 Fired
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2001, 13:21
MoManTai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read with interest the messages posted in this forum. I too am a Diamond MPO member and have been a MPO member since 1980. Firstly I suggest should take a look at what the frequent flyers are saying since it is the fares paid by the sharp end seats that keep airlines like CX in business and your salaries (and management’s) paid. From there (Flyertalk Miles) http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml
and under the CX section you will see what has been discussed since this action commenced. It shows there is overall sympathy with the pilots over the rostering situation but that is where it stops. Dare I say that I think your Union has let you down in this struggle by not having a negotiator of the same capability as the management side ? You should have brought in a pro negotiator with an unblinkered view of the whole situation to negotiate (that means give and take) the best deal and refer it to your members for a democratic vote. If the majority then wanted to go ahead and shoot itself in the foot then so be it. Putting it simply, the CX management has as much chance of flying a jet as you have at beating them at their own profession with your current armoury. The way it has come across is that you are in the 2nd year of a 3 year package agreement; the management made a generous (in my opinion – I run my own company, pay my own rent, school fees, medical etc and do not get 10% airfares and company provident fund) offer which was rejected by the Union negotiators without reference to your members for a vote. The package was then withdrawn. The HKAOA then commenced its annoying action. CX chartered planes and crews and as such had to use them since it was paying dearly for them anyway. The fact that this kept possible ‘slow-mode’ call it enhanced safety or whatever you like pilots sitting at home on call is irrelevant since they kept the majority of their schedules going – meanwhile giving the pilots time to get over their ‘sickness’ at home. All you are doing now is pissing off long term CX fliers like me and exhausting what little sympathy remains. Many of you would have come from other airlines like BA, Qantas or Canadian. Do we presume that because you were pilots at those airlines before then those airlines were the best because of your presence there ? Also you must consider whether the current cost cuttings and savings, etc are a decision made by the CX CEO or whether he has been directed to do so by his boss in UK ? It is my opinion that by continuing this annoying action you will see more colleagues fired and their careers effectively finished. CX will have no problem replacing your positions. You need to get in a professional negotiator with an unbiased view of the current situation and get back to the table with the management.