PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2005, 19:08
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your money or your life....

Well, if I had to choose between pay or conditions I would take the pay, thank you very much!

And as to conditions, one can do a bit to make things more liveable just by using some initiative. It isn't always necessary to wait for Headquarters to sort out local problems.

I have worked for all of the 'big three' Nigerian companies (Pan African, Bristow and Aero) at various times, plus a local Lebanese gentleman and usually found something or other to keep me showing up at work and something else that was annoying. The thing is that swapping jobs usually left me with the feeling that I might as well have stayed where I was, not that I ever regretted moving on or even being moved on.

Anyone looking in on this, trying to decide whether or not to try working in Nigeria, well, all I can say is that pay and conditions are such, nowadays, that many people have found they can do just as well elsewhere without taking the sort of risks associated with the Nigeria of today! I have had several friends tell me that they are doing just as well back in Europe in financial terms.

There is some hope that a pilot shortage will develop to the point that more money will have to be on offer. But pilots often seem to jump at an offer of work without weighing up all the odds, so that this might be a while coming.

I guess the place gets under your skin somehow. God knows why, but it does. Spend a few years there and you may find yourself unfit or unwilling to work elsewhere. I cannot explain this. Read 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad for a glimpse of what I am here writing about.

Bear in mind that Conrad himself went to the Congo to be a boat captain, got mired in company politics and then went down with a heavy case of malaria that left him unable to work as a captain before turning to writing as a way to make a living. He only spent a few months there but he seems to have got it right.