PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Win May Change Future of Air travel
Old 29th Jan 2002, 00:08
rentaghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've already posted this 'point of view' on my company forum, but just wanted to relay my fears.

IF charter airlines are forced to make these changes in seat pitch I can only assume that some of us will no longer be in Airline employmemt within the next few years.

The Trade has today warned that an increase in seat pitch within the UK charter airlines will cost them approximately £45 million this Summer season alone.

It has been suggested that 2 rows are removed from each Aircraft. For 1 B757 this means the removal of 12 seats. Each charter B757 should fly approximately 16 rotations per week for 26 weeks of a Summer season. Multiply this by an average seat price of £140 per seat equates to a loss in revenue of £700,000 PER aircraft for a the summer alone. This loss will damage Airlines and force them to increase their seat rates for next year.

If the market cannot / will not accept these increases the airlines will not be able justify operating flights, not operating flights reduces the need for aircraft, the rest is inevitable.

Just thought I'd add my point of view.

p.s. If you increase seat pitch in a B757 to greater than 34" you cant reach the drop down table in front of you to have your meal!!! Now that would cause a storm!