PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2005, 01:50
emsgoof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you'll permit me...
On the EMS provider point of view (coming from quite a few years in the EMS industry), I've been saying that at least in the area I'm in, far too many patients are flown that could safely be transported by ground ambulance. The main problem comes from several things...
One, you have some 16 year old EMT who thinks it'll be "cool" to have a helicopter come out to HIM.
Two, you have poorly trained EMS providers, with very restrictive medical protocols, who panic at the sight of a potentially complicated patient, and call for the helicopter, because the flight crews MUST know more than him/her.
Three, as the article stated, you have large tertiary care facilities who want to look more impressive with a flying billboard, and who will send it for patients who are even a short distance away, because they want to have "The Look".

It's a problem of perception in the EMS community, which will not go away without a thorough, detailed process of education for EMS providers on what a helicopter or fixed wing can or cannot provide, and a better risk/benefit analysis for all people involved.