PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay Stories
Thread: Delay Stories
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2005, 19:11
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
BEagle, I agree

Thanks for the stories. My delay landed up being 5.5 hours and a very easy one, as I just stayed in the lounge and read the paper, drank brandy + coke, used the web connection and snoozed a bit. The TV went over to Rugby which was better as the crowds don't make such a horrible noise as football crowds do.

I learnt that the a/c had been diverted the previous evening. The last LGW home met fog and went to MAN. Once IOM opened on Saturday, they had to get back from MAN and then do the first LGW run. By the time we were on finals (around 19:00) the fog was gathering again. It was thin vertically but thick horizontally. They had to do an instruments approach and (I learnt from the Captain on leaving) not knowing if they would see the tarmac before reaching minimums. They did and we put down (no autoland) but on the roll-out, you could not see the terminal buildings. A cautious taxi up the hill was employed.

My thanks to the crew, who were very tired and remained cheerful and gave good service to the very last.

My worst was being caught at JFK in the power blackout of August 2003! I was delayed by three days but only one night in an hotel. I got back to friends in New Jersey and got another day on the beach!

Home t'row and the rain will keep the fog away. By the way, to the Northern Hemispherians ... Welcome to Spring as today is the vernal equinox. Must be time for the shades...

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.