PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IBS / Dyspepsia & Flying.
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2005, 18:49
F/O Speaking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`m currently 26 years old. My AME thinks that I might have possibly developed these conditions due to stress. My medical was suspended because I was absent from work for more than 20 days so I had no alternative to report my ailments to my AME hence the CAA. At the time I didn`t know what was wrong with me. It was only when my GP referred me to a gastroenterologist that I was diagnosed with these conditions after a number of examinations and tests. I am currently being treated by him. I take two drugs; one is domperidone (brand name motilium) and also beta blockers (propranolol). These seem to be working for me quite well although I can`t return to work whilst taking them. I also have to stick to quite a high fibre diet. I find some foods which are high in fat cause me major problems as I can`t digest them properly.

I am quite concerned that whilst the drugs are helping my condition that I won`t be able to return to flying whilst taking them. The problem is that I may need the medication for quite some time if the condition doesn`t go away. I understand that although they aren`t serious conditions, they aren`t exactly cureable either.

I was just wondering if there were any pilots out there who have had these conditions before and have succesfully returned to a career in aviation?