PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Win May Change Future of Air travel
Old 26th Jan 2002, 23:27
max_cont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paper Tiger, I take your point about alleged ignorance within the general public regarding aircraft seat pitch. I should point out, that comfort levels on charter airlines have long been the subject of debate among the media and watchdog type programs in the UK. To plead ignorance, you’d have had to be living in Outer Mongolia with your head stuck up a Yak.

I would not buy anything unless I knew what I was getting. A holiday can and does cost several thousand pounds (just like a car) and I always make sure I know exactly what I’m getting.

I have friends with whom I go on vacation sometimes. They always go first class or similar with a schedule airline, simply because they refuse to travel in steerage. Nothing stops anyone from booking the resort and then sorting out the flights. (Apart from the price of course) Me, I just jump on a charter flight for a fraction of the cost a sit with my knees up around my ears. The truth is, like the rest of the British holidaymakers, I’m too lazy to do the work.

Airlines have a surprising amount on influence over the CAA in my opinion. You are probably aware of the magical and seemingly automated “dispensation” agreement that most companies have regarding any rule they happen to find inconvenient. I’m sure any increased seat pitch regulation would be treated to a dispensation.

I agree that 90 seconds for a full evacuation is not enough in the real World. That it is demonstrated using only half the available exits is true, but the passengers are all ABP’s and they know what’s coming. When you watch the video, it reminds me of a military para drop. The cabin crew would make great loadmasters.