PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2005, 14:52
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Bristow Bashing

Makila,

The last time I left the warm loving embraces of Bristow Nigeria, I provided my own exit interview treatise to Redhill at their request. I retain a copy of that now and have considered making it public. Unfortunately it is name specific in a lot of instances and that would not be appropriate for a public forum. Also, that was an internal company communication and that should be left that way. A review of it by those knowlegeable of the course of events would see that what I said was accurate....and was said well ahead of any changes being made.

Several of the concerns I presented to them have been addressed. You will recall the shakeup in the Lagos management, removals of some site management, and some realignment of duties and responsiblities.

You have seen the promotion of well qualified Nigerians to positions of authority finally and the expenditure of lots of money to bring the S-76 fleet up to some semblance of quality after the bad years. The decrepit old 212's are finally heading off to where old elephants go to die.

Unfortunately, not all of the sources of problems have been removed....but they have made progress.

Bashing as you call it....was addressed in paragraph one of the summary I provided.

The attitude then prevailing was that anything Bristow did, however they did it, no matter how it was done, was better than anything, anyone, any where could do.....and any suggestion that was not the case was patently ignored and actively punished.

That attitude as I promised to them, resulted in some very real problems.....ergo the changes finally. The situation had deteriorated to the point that Redhill had to do something.

You can call it bashing if you wish.....I suggest that if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem in these situations. Some people find it hard to stand up and speak the truth particularly in an environment that does not welcome the truth.

I have not seen a lot of folks taking issue with the facts of what I have said about the situation in Nigeria. I do hear a few guys take issue with me for having said it.

If what I am saying is wrong factually.... refute it. Come forth, take your stand....provide your own account of what the situtation was/is and substantiate what you say. Those that are considering going there will be the better off for it. It will assist them in making an informed decision...at least we can be supportive of other pilots that way and work together to improve our working environment.

One of our posters says nothing has changed in 20 years.....now that is an enlightened position. Coming from a consultant....I wonder....I really do. I am sure his final report to his clients says that....."nope, everything is fine...just like it has been for 20 years...no changes needed, nothing could stand modernization....nope....you run a perfect operation." Think he might be an old style Bristow Manager of some kind?

For some reason, I find it hard to give him much credance that being true....that he thinks nothing has changed.