PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Airshow? is it worth it
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2005, 07:10
Chadzat

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I probably fit into the catagory described by Grusome so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt! (attended all three public days 2001, 2005 and have PPL)

Flying in this year proved to be easy, arriving at the right times traffic wise seems to help. Shuttle buses made everything that much less stressful.

Lara campsite had no where near the amount of facilities required. If I am going to Avalon 07 then I'm steering clear of the public campsite.

The Friday night FLYING displays were fantastic, I agree that for a non-pilot it may have appeared disorganised but in the organisers defense I did hear the commentator mention that the problems were due to the strong winds.

Obviously an overhaul of the whole airshow would be nice but can any of you post a list of brand new acts (ie new aircraft that we haven't seen in Australia before) long enough to provide a decent flying display? I think not. Short of the JSF, F-22 and Sukhoi's its really all been done before BECAUSE thats the aircraft that are in service at the moment, I'd imagine its pretty hard to have to work with functioning airforces that operate on limited budgets to get them to fly half way around the world for a 3 day display.

The only major criticism I would have is the outrageous cost of things at Avalon, the Gold Pass tickets are expensive enough for a meal to be included I would say. Sure you get a cap, ticket holder and program but those items at cost price would not take too much away from the ticket price surely! Consequently as we camped at Lara for the three days we brough in pre-packed food for meals as $12+ for a small meal and drink is just rediculous.