PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security Nonsense
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2005, 04:27
Ramius1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport security in Australia is woeful.

Why?

1) A general lax attitude that "it can't happen here".
Absolutely incredible that many OZ pilots and the public believe that OZ is safe from terrorists and that we should feel safe/immune from threats. We are probably 4th or 5th in line on the most hated western countries list to some of the radicals out there. And probably the easiest target in their minds.

2) Airside access with little screening of ALL staff.
As many guys have said on this forum....why screen only flight/cabin crew? Extortion, ie threating a staff member to place something in a cargo hold or cabin is limited to flight and cabin crew only????

3) No boarding gate check of ID's.
Why don't we check ID's again prior to physically boarding the aircraft? Granted, ID's can be faked I guess by the true professional....but Mr 'Osama' who's intent on doing not so nice things can wander on board with 'John Smith's' boarding pass......no problem!

4) Little screening done on checked in bags.
Maybe things are improving here. About bloody time. Recent changes include xray/scanner devices on ALL checked in bags. But, is this at ALL airports that may fly to major airports?????

5) Inadequate security response from DoTARS
Self evident with the responses we've seen on this forum. Targeting flight and cabin crew only is disgusting. Doesn't send any message to the travelling public in my mind...except maybe that flight and cabin crew can't be trusted and pose more of a security risk than the baggage handler.

6) ASIC's will solve everything.
This is so wrong. Those naive enough out there to think that just because you or someone else holds an ASIC means you are absolutely trustworthy......well, wake up. An ASIC card only proves that you are supposedly criminal record free etc AT THE TIME of APPLICATION. In the mean time, you visit Osama's camps and get 'indoctrinated'....or last night, you were rung up and had your family threatened by someone who wanted you to put a package in the cargo hold. What would you do? Your ASIC card means very little in my mind.

7) Inconsistant Security across the country
Sydney checks for this and that, MEL hassles crew about their binders where other airports do not, HBA seems more interested in checking for fruit than any thing else. I'm sure more examples are to be found.

SUMMARY

Scan everyone who has access airside. Be consistant across the country on the things that are scanned for. Get real, it CAN happen here (which is a pity). Check ID's again as pax board the aircraft. Encourage the full implementation of checked in baggage screening (not just random cx). This costs money I know....maybe a few less JSF aircraft will help pay for it???

I felt safer flying in the UK than i do here.......

Last edited by Ramius1; 21st Mar 2005 at 04:49.