PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2005, 01:26
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're right tinpis. I was once deadheading up from CNS to POM in the Scarebus and seated next to me was the then Treasurer to Piaus Wingti's Govt. Can't remember his name...he was a naturalised PNG citizen...i.e. white. In his view the only way to 'save' PNG was to delocalise everything above hausmeri.

I agree completely- as long as it went all the way to, and included, PM.

For a while straight after Talair closed I flew Ray Thurect's Aerostar for him...he was, besides being a 'biznisman' an adviser to Wingti's Govt...at a policy meeting in Goroka, at the Bird, I was left alone with the minutes of the previous 3 meetings...quite a tome. I killed the better part of a day reading it while Ray was in policy meetings with the MPs.

There in black and white was every problem facing PNG and the correct answer to those problems. Everythng from attracting stable 'long term' expats by allowing their wives to work to the law and order problems...one white MP (Spencer?) suggested legalising hand gun ownership for expats on the basis that it was unfair that they could carry guns for protection while not allowing expats the same right of self defence...this was shouted down by a highlander with "Live by de gun, die by de gun". The irony was hillarious.

In general terms though they were ALL on the record as agreeing to reasonable solutions to ALL the problems that beset PNG at the time.

In 100% of cases they went out from those meetings and innacted policy and laws diametrically opposed to the precips espoused in the policy meeetings. I can only assume that once they were on record as suggesting the correct course of action they felt free to proceed with their own adgendas of greed and corruption....they could always say they had suggested all this good stuff and it was not their fault that it didn't happen