PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP Selection
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2005, 21:58
matzpenetration

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Wasn't the vast majority of knowledge acquired for our ATPL exams largely b*****s as expressed in the opening thread? We still jumped through the hoop though.

We have all jumped many more seemingly pointless hurdles in pursuit of an airline career, yet when we finally get some commercial experience why do so many feel that the airlines owe them a job by virtue of the fact they have a bit of turbine and IFR time? I recently went through the BA process and was successful. I worked bloody hard in preparation for the day, as it is something I have wanted careerwise for many years. No-one in any industry deserves a worthwhile job without having to expend a bit of blood, sweat and tears. I agree that many of the tests seem a bit pointless, but they are designed to sort the wheat from the chaff, more in terms of your attitude and approach to a a given task than flying ability, as it is generally assumed that we can all fly or we wouldn't have the blue or green book in the first place. Even if the odds are as stated, why should they deter anyone? Because of what BA can offer and the money it is prepared to invest in training you (n.b. no bond) they have every right to be choosy. This a long term career proposition and the likelihood is that you will never look to move again. Just think, no more selection days for the rest of your career. If you want the job and feel it is for you then put your energy into preparing for the day.

When we all embarked on the long aviation road we had no guarantee of passing each exam or flight test, no guarantee of a job and no guarantee that the bank, building society or loved ones would turn round one day and say "enough is enough, pay back the money and stop this foolish pursuit".

If you found the drive, motivation and commitment to do it then, why can't you find it now? Years of scrimping, saving, instructing, air taxy work and multi sector turboprop days have paid off and I feel chuffed to have an offer from BA and 2 other carriers. To those who feel like Mundy, I hope you read this reply and decide it is worth having a go after all. To those trying to get a job with BA or a foot on the ladder, take heart, as I am just a bog standard pilot who keeps his head down, works hard, enjoys the job and at long last has found it pays off.

Rant over. Sorry if it seems a big negative. I rarely post replies but every so often some of the members really wind me up thinking the world owes them a living.