PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay Stories
Thread: Delay Stories
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2005, 19:41
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
In Macau, due to go back from Hong Kong to London that night. The rep of the company we'd booked our day trip on suddenly rushed us back to the port to catch the last Jetfoil back to Hong Kong because of an approaching Typhoon. Went to Kai Tak to check in (me to London, my then girlfriend, later my wife, to Bangkok (all that might give some date clues)) only to be told the plane couldn't get into Kai Tak. They put us in an hotel overnight. Next day we waited all day until they took us back to Kai Tak. There we discovered that there were 3 747s and 1 VC10 (the old Tokyo/Johannesburg flight, more clues) which had been waiting at various airports around the Far East waiting for the weather to lift. In the end, only 2 of the 747s came to Hong Kong and we all crowded aboard. My girlfriend missed her connecting flight to Kathmandu from Bangkok and was therefore further accomodated by BA there until the next RNAC flight to Kathmadu 36 hours later and I got back to London 24 hours late (and before she arrived in Kathmandu).

Then, even more years ago, I was in San Francisco when the controllers were on a go slow. My route home was San Francisco/Chicago/Toronto/London (don't ask). I should have been able to leave San Francisco in the morning to catch the overnight from Toronto back to London but I decided, due to the go slow, to catch the overnight to Chicago. That was delayed about 3 hours but got me back into Chicago in time for an earlier flight to Toronto which was duly delayed but got me to Toronto in time for the AC back to London. I was sitting eating soup back home next day when, I'm told, I gently went to sleep and was prevented from sleeping in the soup!

This year has had a bad start. Tried to go to Geneva three weeks ago on a Sunday night for a one day meeting on Monday. Flight cancelled due snow in Geneva (and talking to others later this was a genuine problem, stories of diversions to Lyon earlier in the day with bus connections). No alternative available for Monday morning so I cancelled, does that count as an indefinite delay? And, back in January, I arrived at Gatwick one evening to be told that my flight to Nantes was cancelled and that I was being put in the Hilton and flown the next morning. That worked but the fact that they got the passengers from the cancelled on the flight next morning with seats to spare did me make wonder (probably unfairly) how genuine the technical problem was.