PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy's first A319
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2005, 17:46
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there

A very interesting view - but not one that I can have any real confidence in. I am intrigued by the website - an oriental one which seems to have an interest in 'conspiracy theories'.

I am forced to admit that I cannot say categorically that the accusations of changed data recorders, misfunctioning radalts, changed software and so forth do not have some truth in them. Therefore I cannot dismiss completely this particular conspiracy theory. I would go as far as to say that the accusations may have some significant truth in them. Frankly it would come as no surprise to me to find that Airbus (as Boeing have done under similar circumstances) have misreperesented things to ensure the pilots get the blame instead of them.

What I can say, however, is that there is a totally rational practical expalanation for why the engines did not spool up and why 'alpha floor' failed to kick in. My natural desire is to want to believe the conspiracy theory - my head says the pilot blew it! The simple fact is that since that time a vast amount more has been done in pilot training to prevent a repetition of Habsheim - and sure enough it has not been repeated! It is my hope that this would not happen again simply because there is such a wider understanding of the safety protections built into Airbus fly-by-wire aircraft (including their limitations). I know that when I went through the course, great emphasis was placed on understanding the protections and I am sure this is directly attributable to this unfortunate accident.

Last edited by Norman Stanley Fletcher; 23rd Mar 2005 at 09:29.