PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP Selection
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2005, 13:06
Harry Wragg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mundy

In answer to your query. You are right, a trip to Cranebank doesn't fill anyone with joy, however, you may find it of interest. A glimpse of BA if you will. The success ratio for any job is not good. Unfortunately this is the way of the world. The odds of winning the lottery are 14,000,000:1 but still people persist. Odds of 6:1 are pretty good in my book.

Having worked in HR (inc Recruitment) I can assure you that the selection procedures in most organistions are primarily their to ensure the continued success of the HR organisation itself.

BA's process is similar to many other airlines. If you wish to discuss selection procedures then the USAF have carried out many very interesting studies over the years.

If you want a job with BA then you will have to pass whatever "tests" they have dreamed up. Any existing pilot would be able to fly a BA plane successfully but they may not be able to deal with the unique BA corporate culture. If you can't handle the pointless exercises during recruitment then the pointless exercises needed to survive a day in BA will definitely drive you potty.

Profit is seldom an issue at BA for many departments so don't even try to discuss efficiency when dealing with BA.

AT LHR they operate bidline so as a junior "pilot type" you will have no life. At LGW they operate Carmen which is designed to be much fairer for all pilots (although some would argue that noone gets what they want).

Can I convince you to join BA. In my "opinion" it is better to try BA and then decide. Looking at it from afar will only give you delusions of grandeur or make you bitter and twisted.

So here is an update on Flaps to 60's points:

pros

1) Job for life (will last as long as most companies, average life expectancy for a company BA's size is 40 years!)

2) Choice of S/haul or L/haul

3) Starting salary OK, it depends on your current position, unemployed and you will think you have hit the jackpot.

4) Excellent training (same standard you would enjoy at any UK based airline)

5) No bond (just to repeat that point, NO BOND, come, get type rating, go....)

6) Excellent concessions (compared to some, Virgin even better)

7) Excellent final salary pension scheme (whoops, sorry!!)

8) Better than being unemployed

cons

a) Forever and a day to command (damn those demographics)

b) Working loads (of weekend, week days, holidays, christmas...)

c) You will be on a BScale doing the same job on inferior terms & conditions

d) May damage your health and sanity if you take it too seriously, you cannot change BA or anything that happens within it, just accept your fate.

As the man said, go take the chance, you can always say "no".

Harry