PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Persian/Arabian Gulf
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2005, 09:51
CareBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xavier and Cheese

It is important to get things in perspective.

Xavier - you are absolutely correct - the school is attempting to run and train "in accordance with JAR principles", however as the UAE will never be recognised as a JAR approved state there is no requirement for JAR policy to be followed de rigeur. The original management wished to follow the JAR route to provide some standardisation and credibility for the training carried out, in addition it may be worthwhile for students in the future to at least be able to say that they have been trained in accordance with JAR standards and syllabus etc.

Cheese - I hear what you are saying, however the standard of training and instruction is not in question. Without doubt, Horizon has some of the most capable instructors in the world here and the students can only benefit from that. They are receiving instruction that in my estimation surpasses any provided by most if not all JAR flying schools elsewhere - the standard of instruction is not an issue, it is the support and conditions under which everyone has to work that is the issue.

As far as JAR licences etc go - the students receive a GCAA licence, NOT a JAR licence. It just happens that we teach to the JAR syllabus which far exceeds the requirements of the GCAA . The problem arises now in that the current management will compromise those standards when and as it sees fit simply to try and achieve the primary aim of turning students through the school. As has been stated before on this thread - Horizon will not simply disappear - it has too much local backing and investment for that to happen. What will happen however, is that instead of it becoming a premier training organisation in the Middle East as was planned by the original management, it will turn in to yet another mediocre, military based training establishment that simply turns out numbers to meet demand and to hell with the quality. Personally i would be very surprised to see any of the originally hired instructors here within the next 18 months or so. I think instead there will be many instructors (Pakistani?)from the now defunct military school who are brought out of retirement and brought back to UAE. It is quite possible that many of these guys were / are very capable instructors - I personally didn't know them so can't comment on that aspect - but what is for sure is that they will be happy to work for a lot less money and will simply do what they are told. Inevitably the standards will fall in the long run.