PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Car bomb in Doha kills one
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2005, 03:57
Hajj Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

It happened at 9 pm last night outside of the Doha Players Theatre close to Doha English Speaking School (DESS) There was a performance of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" going on at the time.

About 100 people were attending the performance and they had just finished the intermission when the car bomb exploded. They say that if the bomb had gone off a few minutes earlier then it would have killed and injured more people as the area where it exploded was the West End Hall of the theatre and this is where the coffee and tea stand was set up for the intermission. The bomb completely demolished the West End.

One Expat was Quoted in the news paper as saying " this is going to change expat life in Doha forever. Of Course, Doha Players is finished. Nobody will ever go back there."

The explosion killed one and injured 12 others. Most of the injured were a team of people in a box controlling the lighting for the play. A lot of flying glass was most of the injuries.

I have gotten most of this information from the local news paper in Doha as well as text messages from friends. I am only letting those readers who are concerned about family and friends in Doha know what is in the paper so that you will not go off crazy on rumours.

It is tradject but this is life in the gulf region these days and has been this way for a long time.

How is it going to affect QR and life here? Well I would think some expats will leave, some will not want to come, and it might have a small impact on the hiring of QUALITY, educated people to come and work for QR but all in all the airline will still go on and the cockpit,cabin,hangar, and check-in counters will all be staffed with people from the regular countries that QR seek to get their staff to come from that will put up with all kinds of work conditions just for a $$. All in All little to no impact i would say but I have been wrong before many times.

HM

Last edited by Hajj Man; 20th Mar 2005 at 04:09.