PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT turnaround??
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2005, 22:37
YYC F/A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our T&C at BA are complex, sometimes they work very much in our favour, at other times they don't. I've 'lost' many a nightstop because of our work rules... you just need to 'suck it up' and take the good with the bad.

Our basic is LESS than bmi, at £9,665. This is as posted publicly on britishairwaysjobs.com so I don't see it as a big secret. We get no London Weighting. I was at bmi about 6 years ago and I was getting 12,500 a year with London Weighting factored in, so basic there is def higher.

We do make a bit more than bmi on the allowances, but it is a bit of a lottery depending on your roster.

People from other carriers get all excited or hot under the collar about £90 on a Moscow trip. But when taken into perspective, you could do a MAN or a CDG there and back and get £6 light refreshment allowance and that's your lot!!! Also, unlike bmi, we do not get paid any allowances for airport standby (used to get £15? for service backup at bmi?).

Britishairwaysjobs.com lists allowances as about 500 a month. As posted on another thread on here, I sometimes take home quite a bit more than that, but I've also had months where I've done predominantly there and backs and my allowances were LESS than that.

Some new entrants have gone to LGW Longhaul. Allowances there can often be around the amount that the ba website lists. Therefore, again using the PUBLICLY quoted figures by BA, one could deduce that with £700 a month after tax from the quoted basic, and with the £500 in allowances, a lot of crew down there are taking home around £1200 a month, some months a bit more, some months a bit less. Those of you at Monarch, Thomas Cook or Bmi care to compare?

I prefer BA to bmi because of the size and scope of the operation, the opportunities within that, and the terms and conditions we enjoy. The pay is a little better too, but that alone would not have swayed me had I had the all the former at bmi.

Those starting today on the new contract might take home a little bit more than bmi/virgin/charter carriers, but it's not as big a jump as some (non ba) people on here try and make out.

And, before I get a 'telling off' from anyone about bandying around our salary figures, with the exception of the £90 allowance figure that's already been openly discussed, I'm only re-iterating details which BA itself has publicly posted on the recruitment websites. Whether you agree or don't agree with BA posting these figures is another debate altogether, but I'm only posting information that is already in the public domain. Cheers!