PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DH Mosquito as a glider
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2005, 18:42
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The asymmetric problems would refer to the low end of the speed range.
Nostalgia time again.

That explains why the teaching staff at the school I used to go to near Exeter used to hate the Mossie

In the early 60's, No 3 CAACU were still operating Mossies on target tug tasks, and at about 0905 most mornings, teaching would stop for a while as a pair of mossies would launch (in close formation) from the westerly runway (26 or 27 I can't remember what it was in those days), and depart for their task. Thing was, they'd not depart in a manner akin to fast jets, they'd get airborne, then clean up and speed up before climbing out, and the school was on the top of the hill about 1.5 miles from the western end of the runway, and almost under the centreline, so with the way that they launched, it wasn't a case of them going OVER the school, they went PAST the school, and it was a very brave (or foolish) teacher that tried to compete with 4 hard working Merlins all turning and burning at pitch fine with lots of boost, and still flying very close together.

A short while later, the Mossies were replaced with Meteors and Vampires, and while they too were classics, they didn't have the same appeal

[Thread drift] I can also recall one auspicious day just before one of the annual air days when I was spending more time looking out of the large facing the airport 3rd floor window than at the blackboard , and I spotted a couple of very fast moving small dots out over Woodbury Common, which I watched make a wide circuit to the North, and then come back in for a low fast run near enough along the runway line. I was one of the very few people in the room that didn't duck under the desk as 2 German Airforce Starfighters came over the top of the school at about 200 Ft, doing as close to Mach 1 as they dared, as preparation for their display at the airshow that weekend. The noise was amazing, and the view we had of them as they pulled into a vertical climb halfway across the airfield was stunning, it was a very short period before we couldn't see them. In hindsight, having spent so long at low level, that was probably the only way they could get back to where they were staging from without running out of fuel

They were back at the weekend, and spent a little longer over the airfield before departing in a similar manner. [/Thread drift]