PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CWL diversions tonight
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2005, 11:08
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard Noise,

Thanks for that.

That's the trouble when you get old, the memory goes.

I thought I read in the earlier part of last year that a company called Systems something had been awarded a contract to supply and install a new ILS, I thought on the 09, so assumed, obviously wrongly, it would be to Cat II standard because I understand the topography precludes Cat III on 09.

Was some significant work not carried out on the ILS systems at BRS last year though?

I understand your point about diversions because the aircraft/crew are not equipped/qualified for Cat III. In fact, when BRS publicly announced their 'blind landing system' in the press at the time it was initiated I emailed the airport and asked them how many a/c would be affected. All they wrote in reply was that about 80% of passengers would enjoy the improvement. I didn't realise at that time that the Cat III was only on 27 and the airport did not mention it in their reply.

I also remember asking on this MB a year or two ago the approximate proportion of commercial a/c using BRS that were Cat III equipped (without taking into account the crew's qualification).

In general terms it seemed from the replies that the bigger jets such as the easys and the Britannias and First Choices were but not the smaller regional jets and turbo props.

I don't know if that was accurate or indeed if it was whether it is still the case.

Slightly off the original topic I suppose but BRS's capability for accepting CWL weather diversions is still probably relevant.